Friday, August 28, 2009

Oh the Eye Trauma...


It all began last Friday evening...
I sent all the kids in the backyard while I finished up the dinner dishes. I heard Daxton start screaming and Avery yelling at Chasen. I ran out and scooped Dax up, but he didn't want ANYTHING to do with me. That's when I knew he was REALLY hurt and not just sad or upset. He fought me for about 10 minutes, until I made him a bottle to calm him. At that point I was able to take a look at him and saw that his right eye was swollen almost shut! After prying it open I noticed that his left pupil was dilating and his right(the injured eye) was fixed. I called our pediatrician at this point and they told me to take him to the ER.
Steve came home from work to help me with all the kids. At this point, I was FINALLY able to find out what had happened from Avery. Apparently Chasen had been spinning circles, with his arms straight out in front of him. He didn't see Dax and whacked him in the face with his arms. This made Dax off balance and he then fell into the slide(YES! The same slide that broke Brielle's arm not 3 months ago!!!) directly on his right eye. Shortly before I left for the ER with Dax, I looked in his eye again and saw blood filling up in the iris(the colored part of the eye). It was crazy to see because the whites of his eye seemed fine, but the bottom of his blue/grey eye was RED from blood!
After a 3 1/2 hour visit to the ER, the doctor informed me that Daxton had a Hyphema in that eye. A Hyphema is when blood is filling the anterior chamber of the eye(the iris). The problem was that the blood was filling into the secondary chamber, through the pupil. The zinc in the blood can cause permanent staining on the cornea, affecting the eye sight. The doctor gave me some eye drops to put in his eye 4 times a day to reduce the inflammation.
Monday, I took Dax to see a pediatric opthomologist who said he was looking good. He was still pretty swollen in the eye and apparently at risk of a secondary rupture. We've been watching him carefully.
After his follow-up appt. on Weds., he was given the OK, to resume regular, 17 month old activity. The doctor wants to see him, again, in 6 weeks just to make sure there are no residual problems.
And ALL because of that dang slide!!!

1 comment:

Robin said...

Bummer.. Thats hard. But I'm glad taht all seems to be going well now. Its the bumps in life that sometimes throw us for a loop. Hang in there. It will get somewhat easier.