First... the "Time Out Corner".
We sat a chair, facing the wall, in the corner of our kitchen. We placed a picture of Jesus and a sign that says, "Kindness begins with me". Our kids are in a phase where they can be pretty nasty to each other. We are also having many meltdowns. tantrums and back-talking. When we see this behavior, they are going to have to sit in the corner, for as minutes as they are old, and think about their behavior. Assuming they are pleasant after their alloted time, they will be able to come out of Time Out.
Second... the "Kindness Kash" jar.
We are giving each of the kids 5 Kindness dollars for the week. They will be GIVEN a dollar for good behavior and will LOSE a dollar for bad behavior. At the end of the week, however many dollars they have, we'll put their name on the back and place in the jar. We are taking a trip to Utah in August and have told the kids that their money will be exchanged for REAL dollars to spend on the trip. This has excited Avery the most and I'm looking forward to seeing her step-up to the task!
Third... a "Patience" sign.
Let's be honest, this is mostly for my benefit! If I'm asking the kids to work on their behavior, I guess it's only fair that I work on mine! And Steve thinks it's a good laugh for people when they come over! ;0)







4 comments:
Great ideas guys! I remember the days of trying to come up with creative parenting with our little guys. On the roughest of days...let me be living proof that "this too shall pass". Of course, then you may have a whole new set of challenges, but hey, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger...right?!
Love it, love it, love it! We have a little stool that says 'I am a child of God' on it. I use that as my time out so when I put the kids on it I am reminded that they are children of God. The effect has somewhat warn off though after all these years. OH the joys of drama queen girls and two year old boys. So do you really belive we will look back on this time of our lives and miss it?!?
I was wondering about the patience sign when I was babysitting tuesday night. Makes sense now! LOL. Love you!
what great ideas, the time out corner--so simple but what a perfect solution to "those times". ONly problem I would be sent there too, I can be pretty rotten--just ask the kids!!
Post a Comment